Holiday Traditions To Try Out This Season
6 Holiday Traditions to make the Holiday season even better!
The holiday season is the most wonderful time of the year. Most of us have our best moments linked to snowball fights and letters to Santa. The time of the year where everything turns white, clothes get cozy and drinks get warm.
Christmas, with its gifts, decorations and jingles has a special place in most of our hearts. If you’re looking to fill your home with those cozy feelings and yuletide cheer, we’ve prepared a list of holiday traditions that you can start trying out in your own live, to make this special season even better!
One of the most important aspects of implementing holiday traditions are the delicious foods that you can enjoy with your loved ones. Here are some wonderful food related traditions you can try out.
- Christmas Cookies – try out a few different recipes of Christmas cookies with different color frosting and different shapes. This is the perfect time to go for a shopping spree for some cool cookie cutters.
- Traditional Turkey – this might be expensive to experiment with but planning the perfect turkey dinner for Christmas morning is always a good idea. Check out recipes and talk to experienced cooks for tips.
- Your Favorite Pies – from pumpkin to apple to pecan, get ready to cook your favorite pies and delight everyone around
- Make cookie baking a family affair – Start a cookie baking tradition with your children or partner. A delicious outcome to a bonding experience
Decorating your home for Christmas is one of the most pleasant and rewarding activities. Make decorating and everything about it a family activity and start some new traditions
- DIY Decorations – Enrol everyone into a DIY fest. Make Christmas tree decorations, select your favorite Youtube videos and Pinterest ideas and make a day of it.
- Decoration shopping – Even if you still have all the decorations from yesteryears, there’s always room for a few more. Maybe you want to go for a specific theme or just sneak in a few more globes or tinsel. Involve someone in your family and make this sneaky shopping spree a tradition and an adventure.
- Get everyone involved in the process – Whether it’s decorating the tree or getting the entire house ready for Christmas, enrol everyone in your household to participate in the process.
- Buying the Christmas tree – another fun experience to turn into a tradition is selecting the perfecting Christmas tree. Whether you’re taking your whole family or just your partner, make it a moment to remember!
Giving Is Better Than Receiving
The holidays are the perfect time of the year to remember the less fortunate. It’s a great time to be grateful for what we have and to try to spread some cheer yourself. Here are a few holiday traditions that involve giving back that can truly feed your soul.
- Declutter old clothes – Have everyone in your household select a few clothing items for donation and make a trip to the local homeless shelter or salvation army.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen – Set up a volunteer gig around the holidays. Hand out food or supplies to those in need.
- Make a donation to a good cause – Organize everyone at home to pitch in to make a donation to a cause you all decide.
- Volunteer your time for families in need – Give back in your own backyard. Donate items or time to a family in need in your own neighborhood.
Make Gifts Personal
The gift giving process is a perfect opportunity to implement some traditions. Here are a few suggestions to keep in mind.
- Start a Secret Santa tradition – it can be a great way to save money and lower the stress of Holidays
- Make some gifts! Gift giving doesn’t always have to be about spending. Sometimes a homemade gift is more personal and appreciated
- Divide your family when it comes to Holiday shopping – start the tradition of gift shopping in groups!
- Make Black Friday the day to shop for gifts. Think ahead and start your Christmas traditions in November. Get all your gifts at a discount every year and enjoy the time with your loved ones.
- The prank gift! Make someone the recipient of a prank gift every year. Make sure to keep the rotation going both for the person pranking and the person pranked!
Get Closer To Your Community
Holiday Traditions are a great way to bond with your family but also an opportunity to get closer with your family or community. Here are some things you can do to spread the joy around the neighborhood.
- Bake a pie for your neighbor – Make it a Christmas tradition to bake a pie for one of your neighbors every year.
- Homemade cookies to share with everyone – If you’ve got the time and inclination you can always make cookies for your community.
- Get involved in local events such as plays or festivals. Organize or volunteer
- Grab your friends and go carolling! You won’t need to be professional singers. The spirit of Christmas is all you need!
- Find the best spot for sledding or ice skating in the area and bring the family along.
The most magical day of the season and the one everyone looks forward to the most, make the best out of Christmas morning!
- Open presents as a family – Gather around the Christmas tree and dig into the packages that Santa brought over night
- Have Christmas cookies as a family – Have a personalized cookie for everyone, especially made for Christmas morning.
- Wear Christmas sweaters – wear matching sweaters as you open up gifts
- Watch a Christmas movie – gather everyone around the TV, stock up on snacks and blankets and watch a Christmas movie together.
And there you have it! A few Christmas traditions you can try out this year that will make this special time even more magical!